- Common complaint
- Very common for headaches to be triggered by stress
- Range from mild to severe:
- Mild – pain on either side of the head, mild nausea and sensitivity to light
- Severe – sudden and may also be accompanied by symptoms such as fever, vomiting, a stiff neck, or visual disturbances
If a meniscal injury is present there may be an inability to straighten the knee. If a ligament tear has been acquired, surgical intervention may be necessary.
Morning neck pain
Many patients wake up and experience neck pain and/or stiffness. This is often caused by poor sleeping habits. It is important to sleep on a firm mattress, and only use pillows that do not allow your head to twist or bend during sleep.
Whip-like action of the neck, commonly a result of a rear-end car collision. Your head suddenly moves backward and then forward or from side to side. Whiplash can range from mild to severe and the recovery time depends on the severity and therapy.
You may feel some neck stiffness accompanied by numbness running down one of the arms. Stiffness in the neck is not usually the main complaint it is the referred pain and numbness in the arm. Many patients report not knowing what they did to cause this injury.
** These are only a few causes of neck pain. If you are experiencing neck pain it is important to consult your doctor **
What can I do at home?
- Moist Heat – this can help to reduce pain and spasms in your neck muscles. Be careful when using heat that you do not burn your skin.
- Hot Shower
- Proper sleeping habits
Seek immediate medical attention if:
- Head injury, fall, or bump
- Associated with a stiff neck, fever, seizure, double vision, weakness, numbness, or difficulty speaking
Your doctor should be notified if:
- You are having 3 or more headaches a week
- You are taking pain medication daily
- Over the counter medication is not helping
- Your headaches are getting worse
For a more detailed explanation of exercises, call and book an appointment to speak with a chiropractor. Every program that is designed is tailored to each individual.